Friday, May 14, 2010

Happy Birthday!


A wonderful lady that goes to my church is celebrating her 90th birthday at the end of the month, so her family organized a 'card shower' for the occasion. I've never really heard of a card shower, but the idea is that she gets 'showered' with cards from as many people as possible. I thought that was a really neat idea, so of course I'm going to send her a card too. I think it was supposed to be a surprise for her, but our pastor announced the card shower plan while she was at church. (oops!) I'm sure she will still love getting all that mail :)

So this card was a trial and error card. I used the 'Stretch Your Imagination' cartridge (had to get this one because I LOVE David Walker!) and used the card function to make the body of the card. I also made the frame that corresponded to the cake card (another really nice function of this cartridge) I wanted the cake to look layered, but the only layers for the cake line up with the actual cake image (so if you cut your card at 5 1/4 like I did and then try to cut out layers at 5 1/4 they will be way too big). So by trial and error (and lots of scratch paper) I did find out that 2 1/4 size will work perfectly to make layers for the inside cake image on the card when it is cut at the 5 1/4 size (which was how big you can make the card when you use the size to fit paper option with a piece of 8 1/2 X 11 paper).

So now that you are super confused because of all the numbers I just wrote... I used Baja Breeze, Kiwi Kiss, and Pretty in Pink paper all from Stampin' Up. It was one of Splitcoaststampers color challenges a while back, and I just really liked them together. Kiwi Kiss isn't available anymore, but I think that Always Artichoke would work nicely with the other two colors as well. Baja Breeze is discontinued, but will be back as a new permanent color as of July 1st (so you'll be able to order it in a few months).

By the way, I'll just put this out there right now. I hate change. I'm sad to see so many of my favorite colors leaving the SU lineup. I am being a pouty, whiny, child about it.

Then, all I needed to so was stamp a greeting on the front. Glue down all those little layers, and the card was done! Pretty simple once I figured out all the measurements. Hope you like it (and more importantly I hope Betty likes it)!

Thanks for looking!

No comments: